5 Reasons Why We Need Hugs Everyday
Hugging is what we do best at the Beautiful, Courageous You events 🙂
A hug is more than just a nice thing to … in fact it is a powerful way of promoting healing! Much research shows that hugging (and also laughter) is extremely effective at promotion of healing from sickness, disease, loneliness, depression, anxiety and stress.
Here are just some of the reasons we need more hugs:
1. The nurturing touch of a hug builds trust and a sense of safety. This helps with open and honest communication.
2. Hugs can instantly boost oxytocin levels, which heal feelings of loneliness, isolation, and anger.
3. Holding a hug for an extended time lifts one’s serotonin levels, elevating mood and creating happiness.
4. Hugging relaxes muscles. Hugs release tension in the body. Hugs can take away pain; they soothe aches by increasing circulation into the soft tissues.
5. Hugs teach us how to give and receive. There is equal value in receiving and being receptive to warmth, as to giving and sharing. Hugs educate us how love flows both ways.
Time to go get me some hugs… I know of a snuggly year old that will happily assist me in building my oxytocin and serotonin levels 🙂
*more hug info at mindbodygreen.com